Thursday, February 7, 2013

Good post on TIPS:


http://seekingalpha.com/article/1162381-the-message-of-tips-slower-growth-more-inflation?source=intbrokers_regular


I think he has this right, especially concluding that equity and real estate provide better inflation hedges right now.  TIPs are a bit overpriced, but keep an eye on them because they offer a great unfiltered view of the economy.  FOLLOW the money, not commentator's words.

I bought a bit more AAPL today.  A bit more discussion about how AAPL is managing cash and I think this is a good thing.  Perhaps they would consider an acquisition, but that has not been their way up until now.

Buy/watch COP and MRK.  I think there is some value there as well as a good dividend yield.
Also on the energy front, KMI is a core holding.  Very well managed, high dividend yield which will grow strongly over the next few years and a strategy to grow through acquisition.  I like them a lot.  I had sold a little bit around here (37.74) a short while ago ( to even up my stock holdings) and should have bought it back when it dropped below 37.  I missed that opportunity. :(

S deal will probably close mid year.  I still like this deal as I do not expect any regulatory delay.

On the buy side, some stocks I am considering are VALE, SDRL and GOOG

I looked at PBI (Pitney Bowes).  This one shows up on every dividend screen.  It pays a huge dividend but after review, it does not offer good value for me.  It is a dying business (sales have been steadily down for the last few years) and even with the heavy dividend, the loss on the business value (stock price) has overcome the yield.  It's current payout is over 80% of it's earnings which is high and probably unsustainable.  I would pass on that name.







No comments: