Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Results updated for August.

Unfortunately, some underperformance crept in for August.  I was not too surprised that my stock picks after having a blistering July, took a break.  September has started nicely so we will see how it unfolds.

JCP has continued it's run up and if you held on, and if you still have it, I would take some chips off the table.  We have had a good run.  At this point some good news is priced in with regard to the holiday season.  Of course, it is still cheaper than others, just not so obviously so.

I do not have too much in the speculative realm right now.  Of my core holdings I am keeping an eye on LO.  Lorillard has been on a downward path lately as tobacco continues to be under ever increasing scrutiny.  I do not believe their dividend is at risk, so I think the pullback is an opportunity to add if you are not filled up there.

Overall, my equity exposure is at about 17%.  This is up from about 9% last month.  This increase is due to my adding SPY calls to buy market exposure.  The chart below shows the value of the VIX over the last 5 years or so.



It is clear we are at low levels and so I believe that if you are low on exposure, then calls offer some value.  I have been sticking to shorter term (for me) October calls.

Finally, you can sign up to get an email when I update the site.  It's in the follow by email section on the lower right.

Thanks.


No comments: