Monday, June 3, 2013

MHN is now at a -6% discount to NAV (Net asset value).  I already have a large position (about 13%) but I will be looking to add to it.  I will probably sell some of my lower yielding or dog equity stocks like ORCL (low yield), RAX (dog but I'll wait for an up move to sell), QCOM (good stock but I'm in a bad mood and it hasn't done anything for me), maybe MCD (same as QCOM) and perhaps the remainder of my S (there may be more upside left here, but the Softbank deal looks more likely to pass through which reduces upside potential).

Of course there is interest rate risk, but I believe one is protected by the high yields of this fund, plus the discount to NAV.  If NY were in trouble, this could also lead to a further sell off, but I do not believe that to be the case.

I am not sure why the loan ETF's have dropped off.  I think they are good value here after considering the NAV premiums.  So BKLN is good and VTA is now at a discount.  If one believes the economy is OK then they should not drop.  These portfolios are protected against interest rate rises, so they should not be dropping unless credit quality is impinged (which I don't think there has been any change here).
I will look to add some VTA.

Don't be afraid of the sell off in the dividend stocks.  They will participate in economic growth if it appears.  Their pricing power will only increase.  If you have a favorite and have some powder, they are still a good buy.  It is worthwhile, though to go through and chop off the "dead wood" so to speak and reduce any positions you don't love and buy more of things that you do.






No comments: