Tuesday, May 15, 2012

AVP and other stuff

Well Cody is taking the high road insisting that the deadline was firm and pulled their bid for the company.  Lumps taken.  From here, I have the stock on a very tight leash.  My expected downside was lower than the 18.5 price right now, so I will probably sell if it breaks 18 but I will try to hold onto it as I do not believe the deal to be truly dead.  Time will tell.

More talk on the tape about the low growth scenario I have been mentioning in this blog.  We will be in a low rate environment for a long time and an investment portfolio should have stock exposure in companies that will pay some dividends.

For my own portfolio I now have about 46% in stocks of which 7% I would consider speculative (not dividend type stocks).  I am putting all those 7% on a short leash (AVP is one of them).

The risk of inflation down the road is present and T.I.P.S will help in planning for that eventuality.  But don't load the boat on them as 1) the real yields are quite low and 2) the feds decide what constitutes the CPI and can change their mind mid-stream.



No comments: