Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Good post on dividend stocks.  It identifies some of the companies that I follow and invest in as part of my core portfolio.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1286521-wisdom-from-john-templeton-how-to-safeguard-wealth-against-turmoil-and-inflationary-pressure?source=intbrokers_regular


Whenever there is weakness in these names, I consider purchasing a bit more.  They are not sexy and in fact can cause a portfolio to underperform in up markets, but they will help in down markets and over time, I think they return is more than fair and protects against inflation.

I want to re-iterate my base thesis which is:

dividend paying stocks are ok as companies benefit from streamlining and take advantage of low interest rates to improve their balance sheets.

long treasury bonds are ok because overall growth will be low and inflation will be kept in check by overcapacity and relatively high unemployment.

cash, hold a percentage for buying opportunities.

Currently, my cash is high because I am a bit ambivalent and can afford to sit out temporarily.  I own a lot of options which will help get me back into the market if we have a surprise rally.




No comments: