Wednesday, March 6, 2013

My overall stock exposure high at around 40%.  Largely, this is driven by the call options that I had purchased increasing in value and becoming more relevant.  For those not familiar with options, call options effectively go with the trend on the upside - they get you more exposed to upside as a stock goes up.  So, as the market has gone up, my exposure has increased from the low 30's to as high as 45%.  As a result, I am able to play around trading selling when we get some rallies and buying when we get small declines.  Normally, you pay for the ability to trade around because there is time premium that declines over time.  Currently, options are very cheap, so the premium one has to pay is quite low.
I continue to like options and am rolling my March SPY 155 calls to April 157.

Hopefully that wasn't too obscure.  Bottom line is that I like the market in here and the options are a cheap way to get that exposure.

Additionally, JCP has been smacked and a lot of bad news has been discounted.  There is value in this brand and while it may continue going down because it is burning through cash, I think it is worth a speculative buy.

QCOM is also worth buying in here (today taking a hit).  I am very bullish on the global expansion of personal handheld computing and they are the principal player and a very well run company.  This can be a core holding for me.  I will probably build a position over the next few weeks.




No comments: