Thursday, April 11, 2013

CLF
I am adding a position in this stock.  This is a coal and Iron ore mining company.  This company (along with VALE, another of my stocks) has taken a beating as the global growth prospects have pushed down basic commodity prices.  While it still yields 3%, it recently cut it's dividend to shore up its balance sheet.  All good from a management perspective.

While I believe in my thesis of slow growth, this could be a cheap way to hedge some of that and still buy value.  If I am right, it may go a bit lower, but it is already trading fairly cheap to it's expected reduced earnings (PE around 12).

If I am wrong and growth sparks, then this could be off to the races on the upside.

JCP Nice day after buying yesterday, it is giving me a test to maybe get out by rallying 6.7% on nothing.  But, I'll hold on.  I think it will be volatile, but there's more upside than downside here.

LO  I am a bit worried that this is a business that government is determined to kill.  Of course, it's the proverbial golden goose as it generates so much in tax revenue.  That said, it is an industry that is fading.  They have an aggressive buyback program in addition to paying out a good yield, so it's still worth holding, but keep an eye on position size over time.

No comments: