Friday, April 26, 2013

JCP
Short interest was almost 50% as of yesterday.  For those not familiar with the term, that is the amount of shares in the company that have been borrowed by those betting on the stock price to go down.

That is a shockingly high number.  Typical levels are less than 5%.  If a company is HATED, it might be 15%.

The good news for those of us long the stock is that it provides a pool of potential EAGER buyers if there is any positive news.  The Soros news was definitely positive as is the news that they have lined up some financing.

The volume today would indicate that a significant piece of the short interest will disappear.  I will check on that next week.

But as I wrote my note this morning, the stock has rallied yet another $1 (to $17.20) so I will probably sell it for now and see what happens in the next few days.

I am probably leaving some money on the table.


No comments: