Tuesday, April 30, 2013

performance updated.

Buoyed by S and a late rally in AAPL, this month was quite good.  Up 1.56% is on par with the benchmark and slightly behind the S&P's 2% return.

Positions on the upswing are the materials/miners and maybe energy.  Consumers will stay a big part of the portfolio.  I will look to sell some/all of the high yield bonds and look to move up the quality curve and gain variable rate exposure by buying the loan ETF's.

Telecomms might be coming down once my S position is fully disposed of.  I am thinking of getting out of VZ, but it continues to be a good story.  Perhaps if I do, then I will replace with T.

Big misses:
BBY, BBRY and TSLA.

Finally, a new wrinkle.  In my past, I used to trade a fair amount of currency.  While I am not, looking at doing a lot of it, I am looking at a specific opportunity in Aussie Dollar.  This currency has been one that I loved a while back when it was below $0.90.  Now above $1.03 I think it is a good sale.  The strong currency has put a strain on Australia and they have it within their power to reduce the pressure by reducing interrest rates and allowing the AUD to depreciate.  In addition, if the US starts looking more attractive, the dollar will appreciate and the AUD will drop.  A fair amount of the appreciation in the AUD has been from yield seekers as their rates are around 3%.


No comments: